From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is a list of events relating to television in Ireland from 1968.
- January – RTÉ's Director-General Kevin McCourt makes the controversial decision to recall the Seven Days crew as they are en route to report on the Biafran War.
- 12 February – Director-General McCourt announces the transfer of responsibility for Seven Days to the RTÉ News Division, a decision which leads to industrial unrest and the suspension of several members of the production team for "blacking" the programme on air. The dispute is finally resolved in March.
- 16 March – Thomas P. Hardiman replaced Kevin McCourt as Director-General of RTÉ, and is the first Director-General to be appointed internally within the organisation.
- 5 October – RTÉ cameraman Gay O'Brien and soundman Eamon Hayes film a civil rights march in Derry, Northern Ireland during which RUC officers baton charge the crowd and use water cannon.
- Undated – Alan Cantwell, newsreader
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.