From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United Nations geoscheme subdivides the region into Australia and New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia. The UNSD notes that "the assignment of countries or areas to specific groupings is for statistical convenience and does not imply any assumption regarding political or other affiliation of countries or territories".
|Subregion||Country/Territory and capital city[note 1]|
|Australia and New Zealand|| Australia – Commonwealth of Australia |
| Christmas Island – Territory of Christmas Island (Australia) |
Capital: Flying Fish Cove
| Cocos (Keeling) Islands – Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia) |
Capital: West Island
|Heard Island and McDonald Islands – Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands (Australia)|
| New Zealand |
| Norfolk Island – Territory of Norfolk Island (Australia) |
|Melanesia|| Fiji – Republic of Fiji |
| New Caledonia (France) |
| Papua New Guinea – Independent State of Papua New Guinea |
Capital: Port Moresby
| Solomon Islands |
| Vanuatu – Republic of Vanuatu |
Capital: Port Vila
|Micronesia|| Guam (United States) |
| Kiribati – Republic of Kiribati |
Capital: South Tarawa
| Marshall Islands – Republic of the Marshall Islands |
| Micronesia – Federated States of Micronesia |
| Nauru – Republic of Nauru|
Capital: Yaren (unofficial, seat of parliament)
| Northern Mariana Islands – Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (United States) |
| Palau – Republic of Palau |
| United States Minor Outlying Islands (United States)[note 2]|
Capital: Washington, D.C. (administrative centre)
|Polynesia|| American Samoa (United States) |
Capital: Pago Pago
| Cook Islands (New Zealand) |
| French Polynesia (France) |
| Niue (New Zealand) |
| Pitcairn – Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands (United Kingdom) |
| Samoa – Independent State of Samoa |
| Tokelau (New Zealand) |
| Tonga – Kingdom of Tonga |
| Tuvalu |
| Wallis and Futuna – Territory of the Wallis and Futuna Islands (France) |
- List of continents and continental subregions by population
- List of countries by United Nations geoscheme
- United Nations geoscheme
- United Nations Statistics Division
- Subregions and countries/territories as per the United Nations geoscheme.
- The United Nations geoscheme has included the United States Minor Outlying Islands in Micronesia despite most of its islands are located in Polynesia geographically. Wake Island is the only island in the territory located in Micronesia. Navassa Island in the Caribbean Sea has been excluded from this territory by the UN geoscheme. This disputed island has not been included in the Caribbean subregion either.
- United Nations Statistics Division – Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications
- UNSD M49 Standard - Recent changes (see Note 11)
- CIA (2010-07-15). "Cook Islands at the CIA's page". CIA. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- CIA (2010-07-15). "Niue at the CIA's page". CIA. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.