Group of neurological disorders causing seizures / From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dear Wikiwand AI, let's keep it short, summarize this topic like I'm... Ten years old or a College student

Epilepsy is a group of non-communicable neurological disorders characterized by recurrent epileptic seizures.[10][11][12] Epileptic seizures can vary from brief and nearly undetectable periods to long periods of vigorous shaking due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain.[1] These episodes can result in physical injuries, either directly such as broken bones or through causing accidents.[1] In epilepsy, seizures tend to recur and may have no immediate underlying cause.[10] Isolated seizures that are provoked by a specific cause such as poisoning are not deemed to represent epilepsy.[13] People with epilepsy may be treated differently in various areas of the world and experience varying degrees of social stigma due to the alarming nature of their symptoms.[1]

Quick facts: Epilepsy, Other names, Specialty, Symptoms, D...
Other namesSeizure disorder
Generalized 3 Hz spike-and-wave discharges on an electroencephalogram
SymptomsPeriods of vigorous shaking, nearly undetectable spells[1]
DurationLong term[1]
CausesUnknown, brain injury, stroke, brain tumors, infections of the brain, birth defects[1][2][3]
Diagnostic methodElectroencephalogram, ruling out other possible causes[4]
Differential diagnosisFainting, alcohol withdrawal, electrolyte problems[4]
TreatmentMedication, surgery, neurostimulation, dietary changes[5][6]
PrognosisControllable in 69%[7]
Frequency39 million / 0.5% (2015)[8]
Deaths125,000 (2015)[9]

The underlying mechanism of epileptic seizures is excessive and abnormal neuronal activity[12][1] in the cortex of the brain[13] which can be observed in the electroencephalogram (EEG) of an individual. The reason this occurs in most cases of epilepsy is unknown (idiopathic);[1] some cases occur as the result of brain injury, stroke, brain tumors, infections of the brain, or birth defects through a process known as epileptogenesis.[1][2][3] Known genetic mutations are directly linked to a small proportion of cases.[4][14] The diagnosis involves ruling out other conditions that might cause similar symptoms, such as fainting, and determining if another cause of seizures is present, such as alcohol withdrawal or electrolyte problems.[4] This may be partly done by imaging the brain and performing blood tests.[4] Epilepsy can often be confirmed with an EEG, but a normal test does not rule out the condition.[4]

Epilepsy that occurs as a result of other issues may be preventable.[1] Seizures are controllable with medication in about 69% of cases;[7] inexpensive anti-seizure medications are often available.[1] In those whose seizures do not respond to medication; surgery, neurostimulation or dietary changes may then be considered.[12][5][6] Not all cases of epilepsy are lifelong, and many people improve to the point that treatment is no longer needed.[1]

As of 2020, about 50 million people have epilepsy.[12] Nearly 80% of cases occur in the developing world.[1] In 2015, it resulted in 125,000 deaths, an increase from 112,000 in 1990.[9][15] Epilepsy is more common in older people.[16][17] In the developed world, onset of new cases occurs most frequently in babies and the elderly.[18] In the developing world, onset is more common in older children and young adults due to differences in the frequency of the underlying causes.[19] About 5–10% of people will have an unprovoked seizure by the age of 80,[20] with the chance of experiencing a second seizure rising to between 40% and 50%.[21] In many areas of the world, those with epilepsy either have restrictions placed on their ability to drive or are not permitted to drive until they are free of seizures for a specific length of time.[22] The word epilepsy is from Ancient Greek ἐπιλαμβάνειν, "to seize, possess, or afflict".[23]