cover image

Visa policy of Hong Kong

Policy on permits required to enter Hong Kong / From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dear Wikiwand AI, let's keep it short by simply answering these key questions:

Can you list the top facts and stats about Visa policy of Hong Kong?

Summarize this article for a 10 year old


The visa policy of Hong Kong deals with the requirements in which a foreign national wishing to enter Hong Kong through one of the 15 immigration control points must meet to obtain an entry permit (permit to enter) or Visa, which depending on the traveller's nationality, may be required to travel to, enter, and remain in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Visitors from over 145 countries are permitted without Visa entry for periods ranging from 7 to 180 days, to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region for tourism or certain business-related activities.[1][2][3] All visitors must hold a passport valid for more than 1 month.

A Sample of Regular Hong Kong Visa for Visitor issued by Hong Kong Immigration Department
A visa for Hong Kong SAR issued by the Chinese embassy in Tbilisi
An entry endorsement issued to a Chinese national residing in mainland China on a Two-way Permit booklet
An entry permit for Hong Kong SAR issued to a Chinese national residing overseas

Unless having the right to land or right of abode in Hong Kong, nationals of all countries and territories require entry permits or visas from the Hong Kong Immigration Department directly or via one of the Chinese diplomatic missions overseas, to undertake other activities, such as study, employment, or operation of a business. Under the one country, two systems policy, Hong Kong maintains its immigration and visa policy independently from the rest of China. Consequently, entering Hong Kong from mainland China or Macau requires passing through immigration checkpoints of mainland China or Macau. Whilst Macau residents have visa-free access for short visits to Hong Kong, Mainland residents can only use a PRC passport if either transiting to a third country or having a sticker-styled HKSAR Entry Permit on the passport. Otherwise, they must obtain a Two-way Permit (EEP) with the appropriate exit endorsement from the Chinese Ministry of Public Security before visiting Hong Kong.

Due to the historical background of Hong Kong, immigration status in Hong Kong is determined by a combination of both nationality and residence status. Therefore, even a Chinese national with the right of abode in Hong Kong has a slightly different status to a foreign national with the right of abode in Hong Kong as well (since the former can never lose the right of abode status while the latter can lose it if they do not enter Hong Kong for a period of 36 months).[4] At the same time, a foreign national with the right of abode in Hong Kong has a preferential immigration status to a Chinese national without the right of abode in Hong Kong, as the former can remain in Hong Kong indefinitely, while the latter has to have his immigration status reassessed whenever his visa/permit expires.

Oops something went wrong: